Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Neutral

a free form poem written june 22, 2009. i'm not a poet, but i do like to think of myself as a vessel for the creative energy gods. these verses are to be considered the words of my creative angel guardians. if you like it, then it was all me. if you don't, i was possessed when i wrote it. you be the judge.


NEUTRAL

One day I was walking down the block
Trying my hardest to think of what to say
My brain was on overload
Almost stuck in neutral I want to say
But then I'm having such a hard time trying to find the right thing to say
That maybe neutral isn't the right word after all
Either way
My mind was stuck in a haze
And a crowd was gathering on the street
And in my mind
All looking at the trainwreck
The wreck both on the street and in my ever-cloudy mind
And they won't stop watching and waiting for
Something to happen
Something to explode
Something to implode
My brain might just cave in on itself without ever having found the right word
And then it all comes together with
A snap
A flash
A turning on of a light bulb in my head
It's music
It's jazz
It's opera
It's rock
It's classical
It's Mozart
It's the beat of the drum
It's the strumming of the guitar
It's the sound of a song
It's the voice that keeps playing through my mind
And it follows me wherever I go
Always on my mind
Like Georgia
The place I found to lose myself
The place I lost to find myself
And I'm glad and mad and sad that
The right word can never be said
Only played
Or sung
Or drawn.

Heart
It's inside us all
But some of us don't know it's there until it's broken
Like the train
Sometimes like the bulb
It gets burnt out
And no one ever does that kind of a thing to themselves
Because it's beyond our control
It's only by the hand of someone else can a heart be broken
And maybe that's what makes heart such a weird word
And maybe that's why it was so hard for me to think of it
Or maybe I'm just afraid of it because it's cheesy.

1 comment: